With so much talk on the news about disasters across the country, you may begin to think about what kind of disasters are more likely to occur in the greater Redding area. While we are not as likely to face hurricanes or tornadoes, we do face a higher risk of fires.
As Alexander Graham Bell said: “Before anything else, preparation is the key to success”. Taking these words to heart, how can you be prepared in the case of fire damage? One of the best steps to is educate yourself now on safe clean-up.
Once the fire trucks have left, the real work begins. Depending upon the extent of damage incurred, to return your property to pre-loss condition may require the help of a professional restoration company, such as Preferred Carpet Care of Redding. However, there are certain steps that you can safely take as a homeowner to help minimize damage and loss.
Tips for Safe Clean-up
- Remember safety first! Always use a good quality dust mask and gloves as you work.
- Proper ventilation is vital. By placing a box fan in an open door or window, you will draw fresh air in and pull the dust out.
- Start from the top! When cleaning, start with ceilings, fixtures and walls while gradually working down to the floor.
- Vacuum all surfaces including upholstery with a hepa vacuum. This will help to filter soot that you would otherwise be circulating right back into the room.
- Launder washable clothing and fabric window coverings with a mild alkaline cleaner to alkalize acid found in soot. Items that cannot be laundered should be professionally dry cleaned.
- Exterior walls such as brick, wood, stone, paint or siding, along with your eaves, can be cleaned by spraying with detergent. Next, agitate the soot with a soft bristled brush. Finish with pressure washing – remembering to work from top to bottom – and fulling rinsing to remove soot and detergent.
Depending upon the extent of damage, it may be best to hire a professional restoration company to handle all of these steps. The first step is to contact your insurance company to find out if smoke from outside sources is covered by your policy. The benefit of hiring a professional restoration company is that they can expedite the clean-up. This expedited clean-up will protect you from additional damage that occurs if soot is allowed to sit for too long. Permanent damage and discoloration from soot can begin within hours and even minutes.
What About the Smell?
While removing soot is very important, this alone will not remove the smoke odor from your home. Professionals such as the IICRC certified technicians from Preferred Carpet Care of Redding are fully equipped and experienced in removing the source of the odor and neutralizing it.
Whether you need assistance with cleanup after fire or smoke damage, or if you simply need maintenance cleaning of carpet, upholstery or area rugs, contact the experts at Preferred Carpet Care. We are here to help protect the health of your family and your home!
- Posted by Rod Barth
- On October 12, 2017
- 0 Comments