Prior to spot cleaning your area rug, it’s very important that you first test a spot in an inconspicuous area. This is to ensure that the colors of your rug do not bleed (a common trait of some vegetable dyes used in Oriental and Area Rugs). In order to test the color fastness of your area rug, lightly moisten a couple of paper towels. Fold the towels up and place them on a corner of your rug, weighing them down with a book or some other type of object. If after 30 minutes to an hour you don’t see any color transfer onto the paper towels, you are safe to proceed with the spotting tips noted below.
It’s good to note that, while there is a vast array of spotting products on the market, the majority of these will do more harm than good to your carefully selected Oriental or Area Rug. In our 50 plus years of experience and research, we have found the safest and most effective spotter on the market to be Folex. This amazingly versatile, residue free spotter can be used on carpet, upholstery and area rugs. You may purchase a bottle at our Redding office or from one of our experienced cleaning technicians during your next in home service. In case of emergency, you may also find Folex at your local grocery or hardware store.
Treating Pet Contamination:
- Blot to remove excess spillage
- Blot the spot with cool water and a white rag
- Spritz the spot lightly with a 50/50 mixture of Folex and Rubbing Alcohol
- Blot with a clean white rag
- Spritz again with the mixture of Folex and Rubbing Alcohol
- Stack 8-10 paper towels on the spot. Weigh the paper towels down with a weight such as a book, leaving them in place for a few hours or until the spot is dry.
- Repeat steps as needed