Oh how we love our pets! They become members of our family and we can’t imagine life without them…..until they have an accident on the carpet that is. That’s when our love for our pets is truly tested. Not only are cat urine spots unsightly, but also leave a lingering odor that makes them hard to ignore. Here are a few tips that will help you get rid of those spots so that you aren’t as tempted to get rid of your cat.
Be Observant and Quick on Your Feet
Here are 5 simple tips to prevent lasting damage to your carpet.
- With pet urine, it is important to act quickly. The sooner you treat the spot, the less likely it will become a permanent stain.
- Grab a stack of paper towels and blot up as much urine as possible. Don’t rub the spot as this will damage your carpet fibers causing premature wear.
- If the spot is dry when you find it, put some cold water on it and then blot as described above.
- Do not use cleaners containing ammonia. Cat urine naturally contains ammonia (part of why it smells so strongly) and this may encourage your cat to return to mark the same spot again.
- Avoid the majority of over the counter spotters as these will only temporarily mask the odor and stain. Rather, we recommend a simple solution of Folex (a spotter found at most hardware or grocery stores) and rubbing alcohol (ratio of 1:1). Spray the spot and blot as much as you can. Spray the spot again and then layer with 8-10 paper towels and weigh them down on the spot for several hours until the spot dries.
But I Still Smell It!
Urine is tricky. If it travels through your carpet, into the underlayment and reaches the subfloor, it can no longer be simply treated from the surface. This is when you contact a professional, like the IICRC certified cleaning technicians from Preferred Carpet Care of Redding. A professional will be able to deep clean and treat the affected area in order to remove bacteria and allergens that can result from urine damage.
So rather than be quick to disown the fluffy member of your family, let us help you get rid of the spot they caused. For more tips on treating common household spots or spills or to schedule a professional carpet cleaning, please contact our friendly team by calling 530-243-8400 or contact us online. We look forward to being of assistance!
- Posted by Rod Barth
- On November 30, 2017
- 0 Comments